Friday, January 05, 2007

What the Rs are

Bob Hohertz has an interesting Web site titled, "What the Rs Are."

According to Bob, the items with R prefixes in the Scott Specialized Catalogue of US Stamps and Covers are revenue issues (also known as "Back of the Book" items). The numbering system runs from R, RB, RC to RZ, with a few gaps and a few insertions, such as RVB (the Federal boating stamps of the early 1960's).

His Web site provides a good overview, history and scans of each of the Scott-listed revenue categories.

Incidentally, collectors of US revenue stamps might be interested in joining the American Revenue Association which publishes a magazine, The American Revenuer, bimonthly.

To visit his site, click here.
Bookmark and Share
posted by Don Schilling at 12:01 AM