Monday, July 19, 2010

Spider Stamp Honors Artist and Her Mother

Denise McCarty reports in her World of New Issues column in the latest Linn's Stamp News that, "France's La Poste remembered French-American sculptor Louise Bourgeois on a stamp issued June 21, a little more that a month after her death on May 31 at age 98."

Shown above, the stamp depicts one of her giant spider sculptures, Maman, at the Guggenheim Museum in Bilbao, Spain.

Denise quotes Bourgeois, who was nicknamed "Spider Woman," as saying, "The spider is an ode to my mother. She was my best friend. Like a spider, my mother was a weaver... Like spiders, my mother was very clever. Spiders are friendly presence that eat mosquitoes. We know that mosquitoes spread diseases and are therefore unwanted. So spiders are helpful and protective, just like my mother."

For more on Louise Bourgeois, click here.
Bookmark and Share
posted by Don Schilling at 12:01 AM