Tuesday, November 09, 2010

The Reluctant Philatelist

Facebook friend Sandy Russell Strzalkowski has started a new blog called The Reluctant Philatelist.

Sandy posts, "What is a reluctant philatelist?  I believe it is a stamp collector that is in it for fun, not to be bound by the stuffiness of the hobby. More serious philatelists zero in on a particular area of the hobby, which enables them to put together high quality exhibits. These exhibits are put on display at various stamp shows and are judged by a panel of experts. This is all good and well, but I believe this is not for the faint of heart (or the broke of wallet). Exhibitors are usually very serious, spend lots of money acquiring material for their exhibits, and spend tons of time of research."

She goes on to say, "Instead of exhibiting, I enjoy looking at the beautiful and interesting exhibits.  I believe in being active in any group that I'm involved in, so I give back to my club, the West Suburban Stamp Club.  I am currently the secretary and newsletter editor.  I also serve on the committee that puts together our annual show, The Plymouth Show.  My husband and I have taken several vacations attending stamp shows in various parts of the country.  I probably spend more time talking with other collectors at stamps shows than I do searching for stamps and covers."

Shown above, Sandy Russell Strzalkowski.

To check out Sandy's blog, click here.
Bookmark and Share
posted by Don Schilling at 12:01 AM