Wednesday, April 20, 2011

Stamps Delight Mom and Her Kids

Lynn Youngblood (no relation to well-known philatelic writer Wayne Youngblood as far as I know) writes on Missouri's Examiner.net website, "When my kids were young one of our favorite pastimes, besides spending time outdoors, was stamp collecting. One year for Christmas I bought each of them a Philatelic Book which came with special, clear sheet protectors."

She goes on to pen, "My three kids would do chores, save their allowance and anything else they could think of to earn money and save up for stamps. Then we would visit the big philatelic center downtown. It was quite an adventure entering the big United States Post Office building and going into the special Philatelic Room. They each had their special categories they would collect, Hollywood movie stars, Habitats, Cartoon Characters, and more. For Christmas, I would always buy them a sheet or two of the newly released stamps in their collection. One year after all the presents had been opened I asked my son, Jake, who was about 10 years old at the time, what was his favorite present. To my surprise he said it was the stamps!"

Lynn comments, "My youngest child, Rebecca, was born on April 22. To anyone who is environmentally conscious, or a green-nut, that date may ring a bell ... it’s Earth Day. She used to tell me that she was my Earth Day baby! Imagine then, my delight when I discovered that the U.S. Postal Service Philatelic has designed a brand new Go Green Forever stamp."

 "I know what will be in my kids Christmas stockings this year," Lynn says.

To read the entire article, click here.
Bookmark and Share
posted by Don Schilling at 12:01 AM