Selling Your Stamps at Auction
Aldrich points out, "Auction houses charge a fee for selling your stamps. This fee usually ranges in the 5-20% range depending on the collection and the selling costs. Also, many auction houses charge a buyers fee to the buyers of the stamps in their auctions. This fee usually ranges in the 5-15% range. The national standard for the most part is 10 and 10, that is to say, 10% to the seller and 10% to the buyer. These fees are what the auction houses use to cover the expenses of catalog production, mailing costs, advertising, and overhead costs."
Some of the advantages of selling at auction include....
- You will usually get higher prices for your stamps.
- The competitive atmosphere of auctions helps to yield higher prices.
- More people have an opportunity to buy your stamps.
- The market determines the value.
- Professional describes and evaluators handle your stamps.