Saturday, September 15, 2012

Saving the Post Office - One Letter at a Time

Dick Peterson writes on Illinois' Northwest Herald website, "Commemorative stamps make a statement. They decorate your envelope. They are a teaching tool. I don’t want the common stamp of the flag or the Statue of Liberty on my envelopes, nor do I want horrid black-and-white, computer-generated postal marks befouling my envelopes."

However, Peterson thinks what's really important is what's inside the envelope – a letter.

"What I recommend is that we all go to the post office, select some beautiful commemorative stamps, find a pen and paper, and surprise someone with a letter that is hand-carried by another human being hundreds or thousands of miles away from you," Peterson says.

" I can almost guarantee that the recipient will enjoy that day’s mail more than any other day, although I cannot be held accountable for the tone of your letter.If enough of us write letters regularly, maybe we can save the postal service."

To read the entire article, click here.
Bookmark and Share
posted by Don Schilling at 12:01 AM