Friday, September 30, 2005

One of my favorite stamps


From time to time (especially when it's a slow philatelic news day) I like post on The Round-Up one of my favorite stamps.

The semi-postal shown above was issued by France (Scott B106) in 1940. It's part of a set of 4 which raised funds for national relief.

Besides being exceptionally well-designed with a tremendous amount of detail in the engraving, I thought the color was particularly appropriate for a stamp showing workers in the vineyard picking grapes.

It also occurred to me that what with all the talk about how we are going to pay for the damage wrought by Hurricane Katrina and Rita, the U.S. should give some serious consideration to issuing another semi-postal - perhaps even a set - showing life in Mississippi, Texas, Louisiana.

What do you think?
Bookmark and Share
posted by Don Schilling at 12:01 AM