Sunday, February 12, 2006

Is this the end of stamp collecting as we've known it?

The Times of India ran an interesting first-person perspective on collecting stamps by K. V. Krishnan.

Krishman writes poetically, "Philately had always fascinated me. About 40 years ago, I went about my task fervently — trading duplicates with neighbourhood children...I would rummage through my grandfather's trunk of forgotten letters and dunk dusty envelopes into jugs of water, waiting for those kings of Travancore to float up free from their papery grips."

He goes on to scribe, "Over New Year's, I was flooded with greetings powered by a newly unique postage. Called 'personalised stamps' in fashionable circles, cherubic faces of my friends' children have now replaced the profiles of dead personages."

"A tiny barcode by the denomination had made it all official. With the likes of US and Canada getting philatelically advanced, can hi-tech India be far behind?"

He also poses the bigger question, "Is this the end of stamp collecting as we've known it?" To read his entire piece, click here.
Bookmark and Share
posted by Don Schilling at 12:01 AM