Saturday, July 01, 2006

More on Maria Sharapova

Reuters is reporting that Russian tennis star Maria Sharapova is under orders from her agent not to talk about her stamp collection.

Why? Because "everyone's calling me a dork now," the 2004 Wimbledon champion says. For one of the most marketable players in modern tennis, poring over a stamp album does indeed jar with the willowy Russian teenager's image - and she wishes she had never let on. "We're getting e-mails from, like, stamp collecting magazines asking if I can do an interview,"

Sharapova, 19, said this week in London after her second-round victory at Wimbledon. "I mean, it's just a hobby. I'm actually good telling stories, but that is one I should have never talked about. Let's get off the subject because I'm going to be an absolute geek tomorrow."

For more on this story, click here.
Bookmark and Share
posted by Don Schilling at 12:01 PM