Monday, January 28, 2008

The lady on the two-cent stamp

"Abelstamps" asks on the Virtual Stamp Club website, "Does anyone know what stamp is the subject of this Harry Warren tune from the 1938 movie "Garden of the Moon"?"

Written for: Garden Of The Moon (1938)
Performer: John Payne, Jerry Colonna, Johnnie "Scat" Davis, Ray Mayer, Joe Venuti & Studio Chorus
Lyric: Al Dubin & Johnny Mercer
Music: Harry Warren
Year: 1938
Original publisher: Harms, Inc.

Here are the lyrics....

Chorus 1:

I'm in love with a lady in a stamp collection,
Yes, sir-ee, she's the lady on the two-cent stamp;
Late one night, looking through the Caribbean section,
There she was sittin' pretty on a two-cent stamp.
And like a dope, I keep her inside an envelope,
In order to hide her eyes from guys;
And soon I hope I'm able to snag a microscope,
That readily magnifies those eyes.
I'll take a boat that is traveling in her direction,
Just to look for the lady on the two-cent stamp.
Where the blue sea is rolling,
I'll drop a sentimental hint;
And through life we'll go strolling,
That's if she isn't out of print;
Oh, woe is me if it's nothing but a vain affection,
I'm in love with lady on the two-cent stamp.

Chorus 2:

I've been told she's a Caribbean institution,
Ev'ryone loves the lady on the two-cent stamp;
People say she's the reason for the revolution,
They would die for the lady on the two-cent stamp.
From ev'ry town, the mountains and plains,
They hurry down on busses and trains to see Marie,
The native sons all gather at night and grab their guns;
They're ready to fight for her, yes, sir!
When politicians are coming up for re-election,
They all call on the lady on the two-cent stamp.
At a conf'rence or parley,
You oughta see the way she vamps;
She's got more drag than Farley,
Besides she sells a lot more stamps;
Oh, woe is me if she really has a green complexion,
I'm in love with the lady on the two-cent stamp.
I'm in love with the lady on the two-cent stamp.

Click here to hear the music.
Bookmark and Share
posted by Don Schilling at 12:01 AM