Sunday, March 23, 2008

Armenia’s First Stamps

According to Hetq Online, independent Armenia’s first stamp was printed in 1992.

In 1991 a competition was announced for the stamp design in which 100 individuals submitted some 400 entries. The theme of the first stamp had already been selected - Mount Ararat and the Tri-color flag.

Graphic designer Harutyun Samuelyan, shown here, was the creator of that first stamp.

He's quoted as saying, “That stamp was my first attempt at such a design. Sixteen years later I still believe it’s one of my best stamps, even though I see some shortcomings in it. If I were to draw it now, I’d make Ararat taller, as it appears in the winter months with more snow on its peaks.

In the sixteen years since he’s designed more than 100 stamps. The artist confesses that designing stamps is one of his best-loved pastimes. He continues to submit new sketches to the HayPost committee responsible for new stamp design.

To read the entire article, click here.
Bookmark and Share
posted by Don Schilling at 12:01 AM