Saturday, March 27, 2010

I Was A Strange Child

Canadian Journalist Paul Rellinger writes on the MyKawartha website, "I was a strange child. At age eight, I knew Nepal was bordered on the north by the People's Republic of China, and to the south, east and west, by India. It still is. I knew the Asian country's capital was Kathmandu. It still is. I knew Nepal was home to the world's highest mountain. It still is. Yes, I was a strange child. I was a collector of stamps. I still am. Uh, a collector of stamps, not a strange child, although you'll get an argument on that one from some."

He goes on to pen, "What's nice is I collect stamps for the same reason now that I did way back when - for enjoyment, plain and simple. It's not an investment. There's no plan. It simply satisfies my thirst for useless information; to know as much about nothing that I can know before shuffling off."

"I know stamp collecting doesn't rank up there on the exciting pursuit scale. I rarely open a conversation with, 'Hi, I collect stamps.' The folks here in the newsroom have a lot of fun ribbing the stamp man. But they don't laugh when someone needs to know the name of Nepal's capital. Google has nothing on me," Paul states proudly.

Shown above is someone else's strange child not Paul.

To read his entire piece, click here.
Bookmark and Share
posted by Don Schilling at 12:01 AM