Tuesday, December 11, 2012

Are Christmas Stamps Unconstitutional?

Susan Esther Barnes writes on the Jewish Journal website, "I was at the Safeway checkout counter this week, about to respond with my usual, 'Yes, thanks' when asked whether I had found everything I need, when instead I blurted, 'Oh, wait! Stamps! The cashier kindly charged me for stamps, reached into her drawer, and handed over a book. I glanced down as she placed them in my hand, while my mind registered the drawings of Santa and his reindeer. I inquired hopefully, 'Do you have any that aren’t Christmas stamps? I’m Jewish.' Alas, the answer was, “Sorry, no.”

She goes on to pen, "If other people want to have Christmas stamps, Christmas Coca-Cola cans, and Christmas Oreos, that’s perfectly fine with me. But I don’t want them, and I don’t think they should be foisted on me against my will. It does raise the question, however, of what the U.S. Postal Service is doing selling postage stamps with religious symbols on them. Does that not constitute promoting a religion, which is against the US Constitution?"

To read the entire article, click here.
Bookmark and Share
posted by Don Schilling at 12:01 AM