Thursday, October 23, 2008

Typeface Designers and Stamps

Kat Ran Press writes to tell me about their fascinating website which features stamps done by typeface designers.

Michael Russem writes as an introduction to the site, "Although a field that is often overlooked by bibliophiles and historians of printing and typography, several of the most important contributors to twentieth century book and letter arts have made significant contributions to the design of the seemingly modest postage stamp."

He goes on to say, "This collection was started in 1999 after I came across the stamps of Jan Van Krimpen in A Record in Honor of His Sixtieth Birthday. There are well over 600 stamps in the collection, and I'm pretty sure I've identified every stamp by anyone who has ever designed a typeface. Think there's someone I've missed? Let me know."

Shown above, the 2002 Mentoring a Child stamp which was designed by Lance Hidy . A graphic artist, illustrator and typeface designer, Lance has published a book - Designing the Mentoring Stamp - which is available for purchase on the site.

To visit the site, click here.
Bookmark and Share
posted by Don Schilling at 12:01 AM